Sala Guarienti (Guarienti Hall)
In front of frescoes by one of the most important sixteenth-century Veronese painters
The Guarienti Hall (Sala Guarienti) is located in the cloister of the former monastery of the Friars Minor, which was built in 1230. The hall features frescoes by Paolo Farinati that date from 1560-1570 and originally adorned a room of the same size in the Guarienti residence. The portico with trompe l’oeil Ionic columns contains allegorical figures and pagan gods: Diana, Venus, Mercury, Terpsichore and two mythological scenes with the Three Graces and the Naiads.
The cloister of the former Monastery of the Friars Minor was built in 1230 and houses the Fresco Museum, which is dedicated to the art historian G. B. Cavalcaselle.
According to tradition, there is a sarcophagus in the monastery’s crypt that holds Juliet’s remains. The cellar of the former Church of San Francesco (thirteenth century) contains many amphorae, part of an Early Roman Imperial Period (first century AD) cache.